Standard: TAPPI T 414
INTERNAL TEARING RESISTANCE OF PAPER (ELMENDORF-TYPE METHOD)
This standard is available for individual purchase.
IHS Standards Expert subscription, simplifies and expedites the process for finding and managing standards by giving you access to standards from over 370 standards developing organizations (SDOs).FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Maximize product development and R&D with direct access to over 1.6 million standards
- Discover new markets: Identify unmet needs and discover next-generation technologies
- Improve quality by leveraging consistent standards to meet customer and market requirements
- Minimize risk: Mitigate liability and better understand compliance regulations
- Boost efficiency: Speed up research, capture and reuse expertise
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
This method measures the force perpendicular to the plane of the paper required to tear multiple plies through a specified distance after the tear has been started using an Elmendorf-type tearing tester. It does not measure edge-tear resistance. The measured results may be used to calculate the approximate tearing resistance of a single sheet. It is not suitable for single-ply tear testing.
For highly directional boards and papers, prepare specimens according to T 496 "Specimen Preparation for Cross Directional Internal Tearing Resistance for Paper, Paperboard and Related Materials." See section 8.5.
Caution is recommended in interpreting results from weakly bonded sheets, especially those containing lightly refined long-fibered chemical pulps. The low rate of tear when multiple plies are torn simultaneously may produce erroneously high results (1).
|Document Number:||tappi t 414|
|Most Recent Revision:||YES|