Standard: OSD - SD-9
DOD GUIDANCE ON PARTICIPATION IN THE DEVELOPMENT AND USE OF NON-GOVERNMENT STANDARDS
This standard is available with a subscription to IHS Standards Expert.
IHS Standards Expert subscription, simplifies and expedites the process for finding and managing standards by giving you access to standards from over 370 standards developing organizations (SDOs).FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Maximize product development and R&D with direct access to over 1.6 million standards
- Discover new markets: Identify unmet needs and discover next-generation technologies
- Improve quality by leveraging consistent standards to meet customer and market requirements
- Minimize risk: Mitigate liability and better understand compliance regulations
- Boost efficiency: Speed up research, capture and reuse expertise
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
The purpose of this document is to promote more effective DoD use of NGSs and participation in their development. To achieve this purpose, this document
▪ Describes the different types of NGSs and the organizations that develop them,
▪ Provides general guidance and practices relative to DoD's involvement in developing or using NGSs.
▪ Identifies criteria that should be considered regarding requirements and verification before developing an NGS or replacing an existing military or federal document with an NGS.
▪ Clarifies the roles and responsibilities of DoD personnel when participating in NGS activities, and
▪ Explains the meaning of DoD adoption of an NGS and its importance.
This document provides guidance to three key stakeholders:
▪ DoD participants (and their management), so that they may have a more thorough understanding of non-Government standards bodies (NGSBs), and their roles and responsibilities as participants in NGSB activities
▪ NGSBs, so that they might better understand DoD's practices and policies, especially related to the DoD NGS adoption process. NGSBs will gain understanding of the Defense Standardization Program (DSP) and learn how to interface with DoD in the development, adoption, and use of NGSs
▪ Defense industry and individual firms involved in standards development activities, so that they may consider the DoD market in their application of research and development (R&D) investment and the development of dual-use products.
|Organization:||Executive Agent for the Defense Standardization Program|
|Most Recent Revision:||YES|
|Document #||Change Type||Update Date||Revision||Status|
|SD-9||Change Type:||Update Date: 1984-04-01||Status: INAC|