CENELEC - EN 60335-2-8
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-8: Particular requirements for shavers, hair clippers and similar appliances
|Publication Date:||1 November 2015|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
|ICS Code (Body care equipment):||97.170|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
Battery-operated appliances and other d.c. supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply appliances, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated appliances when operated in the battery mode.
This European Standard deals with the safety of electric shavers, hair clippers and similar appliances intended for the household environment and commercial purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE Z101 Battery-operated appliances and other d.c. supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE Z102 Examples of similar appliances are animal clippers and those used for manicure and pedicure.
NOTE Z103 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping functions used in the household environment that may also be used by non-expert users for typical housekeeping functions:
• in shops, offices and other similar working environments;
• in farm houses;
• by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
• in bed and breakfast type environments.
Appliances and machines intended to be used by expert or trained users in shops, in light industry and on farms, and appliances and machines which are declared to be for commercial use by lay persons are within the scope of this standard.
Additional requirements for such appliances are given in Annex ZE.
NOTE Z104 Examples of such appliances and machines are manicure and pedicure appliances, animal clippers and animal shearers, for commercial use, and appliances for hairdressers.
This standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances and machines that are encountered by all persons.
However, in general, it does not take into account:
• children playing with the appliance;
• the use of the appliances by very young children;
• the use of shaver and wet shaver by young children;
• the use of the animal clipper, hair clipper, and appliances for manicure and pedicure by young children without supervision;
• the use of animal shearer by children;
It is recognized that very vulnerable people may have needs beyond the level addressed in this standard.
NOTE Z105 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary,
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE Z106 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas),
- massage appliances (EN 60335-2-32),
- appliances for medical purposes (EN 60601).