DODD 4140.27-M VOL 1
DOD SHELF-LIFE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM: PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION
|Publication Date:||6 July 2016|
This manual is composed of two volumes, each containing its own purpose. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5134.12, policy in DoD Instruction (DoDI) 4140.01 and procedures in Volume 5 of DoD Manual (DoDM) 4140.01:
• This manual implements policy, assigns responsibilities, and provides procedures for the shelf-life program to identify and manage items having deteriorative characteristics and to mitigate the risk of shelf-life expiration.
• This volume prescribes procedures for program administration, training, and shelf-life materiel management.
APPLICABILITY. This volume:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, (including the Coast Guard at all times, including when it is a Service in the Department of Homeland Security by agreement with that Department), the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this volume as the "DoD Components").
(2) Federal government agency organizations participating with the DoD Components, (referred to collectively in this volume as "Participating Agencies"), but only when and to the extent they adopt the terms of this volume.
(3) Life-cycle managers and materiel managers at all levels of supply to include acquisition, wholesale, retail, and consumer or end user.
b. Does not apply to Class I Perishable Subsistence, Class III Bulk Petroleum, Class V Ammunition, Nuclear Ordnance, Class VIII-B Blood and Fluids, or local stock numbers (LSNs).