Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-29: Particular requirements for battery chargers
|Publication Date:||1 January 2006|
|ICS Code (Rectifiers. Converters. Stabilized power supply):||29.200|
|ICS Code (Miscellaneous domestic and commercial equipment):||97.180|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric battery chargers for household and similar use having an output at safety extra-low voltage, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Battery chargers not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as battery chargers intended for use in garages, shops, light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- built-in battery chargers, except those for installing in caravans and similar vehicles;
- battery chargers that are part of an appliance, the battery of which is not accessible to the user;
- battery chargers intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- battery chargers intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- battery chargers comprising more than one unit;
- battery chargers for toys;
- supply units for electronic equipment;
- battery chargers and supply units for electronic flash apparatus for photographic purposes (IEC 60491);
- battery chargers intended for use in electric vehicles (IEC 61851).