Industrial-process measurement and control – Programmable controllers – Part 2: Equipment requirements and tests
|Publication Date:||1 August 2017|
|ICS Code (IT applications in industry):||35.240.50|
|ICS Code (Industrial process measurement and control):||25.040.40|
This part of IEC 61131 specifies functional and electromagnetic compatibility requirements and related verification tests for industrial control equipment of the following types:
• programmable controllers (PLC);
• programmable automation controller (PAC);
• remote I/O;
• programming and debugging tools (PADTs);
• industrial PC (computers) and industrial panel PC;
• displays and human-machine Interfaces (HMI) for industrial use;
• distributed control system (DCS), and DCS components that are listed here in the scope;
• any product where the primary purpose is performing the function of industrial control equipment, including PLC and/or PAC, and/or their associated peripherals which have as their intended use the control and command of machines, automated manufacturing and industrial processes, e.g. discrete, batch and continuous control.
In this document "control equipment" is equivalent to "industrial control equipment" as are PLC and PAC.
Components of the above named equipment (see Figure 1) included in the scope of this standard are:
• (auxiliary) stand-alone power supplies;
• peripherals such as digital and analog I/O;
• industrial network equipment.
Control equipment and their associated peripherals are intended to be used in an industrial environment and may be provided as open or enclosed equipment.
If control equipment or its associated peripherals are intended for use in other environments (light industrial, commercial, residential), then the specific requirements, standards and installation practices for those other environments shall be additionally applied to the control equipment and its associated peripherals.
Equipment covered in this standard is intended for use in overvoltage category II (IEC 60664-1) in low-voltage installations, where the rated equipment supply voltage does not exceed AC 1 000 V r.m.s. (50/60 Hz), or DC 1 000 V. If control equipment or their associated peripherals are applied in overvoltage category III installations, then additional analysis will be required to determine the suitability of the equipment for those applications.
The object of this standard is to establish the definitions and identify the principal characteristics relevant to the selection and application of control equipment and their associated peripherals.
This standard also specifies:
a) service (operating, storage and transportation) requirements for control equipment and their associated peripherals (Clause 5);
b) functional requirements for control equipment and their associated peripherals (Clause 6);
c) EMC requirements for control equipment and their associated peripherals (Clause 7);
d) information that the manufacturer is required to supply (Clause 8).
Safety requirements for control equipment and their associated peripherals are specified in IEC 61010-2-201.
The requirements of IEC Guide 106, "Guide for specifying environmental conditions for equipment performance rating", and IEC Guide 107 "Electromagnetic compatibility - Guide to the drafting of electromagnetic compatibility publications,"are incorporated herein.