UL Standard for Safety Household and Similar Electrical Appliances: Particular Requirements for Electrically Powered Pool Lifts
|Publication Date:||29 September 2017|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 1 Examples of such appliances are catering equipment, cleaning appliances for industrial and commercial use and appliances for hairdressers.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 2 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 3 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapor or gas);
- audio, video and similar equipment (IEC 60065);
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
- hand-held motor-operated electric TOOLS(IEC 60745);
- personal computers and similar equipment (IEC 60950);
- transportable motor-operated electric TOOLS(IEC 61029).
This Standard deals with the safety of electrically powered pool lifts intended for persons requiring assistance for safe entry into and out of a pool, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 150 V between supply phases or one phase and neutral or ground, and intended for installation in accordance with the US National Electrical Code, (NFPA 70) Article 680, Part VIII.
NOTE 101: Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are:
- portable and stationary lifts of the chair type
- stationary lifts of the single wheelchair platform type.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these appliances. However, in general, it does not take into account
a) the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
b) playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 102: Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- Authorities Having Jurisdiction should be consulted on additional installation regulations and requirements for lifts with respect to accessibility, performance and the like.
NOTE 103: This standard does not apply to:
- platform type lifts intended for multiple wheelchairs
- pool lifts for use in medical facilities