DOT - 49 CFR PART 193
LIQUEFIED NATURAL GAS FACILITIES: FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS
|Publication Date:||1 October 2016|
(a) This part prescribes safety standards for LNG facilities used in the transportation of gas by pipeline that is subject to the pipeline safety laws (49 U.S.C. 60101 et seq.) and Part 192 of this chapter.
(b) This part does not apply to:
(1) LNG facilities used by ultimate consumers of LNG or natural gas.
(2) LNG facilities used in the course of natural gas treatment or hydrocarbon extraction which do not store LNG.
(3) In the case of a marine cargo transfer system and associated facilities, any matter other than siting pertaining to the system or facilities between the marine vessel and the last manifold (or in the absence of a manifold, the last valve) located immediately before a storage tank.
(4) Any LNG facility located in navigable waters (as defined in Section 3(8) of the Federal Power Act (16 U.S.C. 796(8)).
(a) Regulations in this part governing siting, design, installation, or construction of LNG facilities (including material incorporated by reference in these regulations) do not apply to LNG facilities in existence or under construction when the regulations go into effect.
(b) If an existing LNG facility (or facility under construction before March 31, 2000 is replaced, relocated or significantly altered after March 31, 2000, the facility must comply with the applicable requirements of this part governing, siting, design, installation, and construction, except that:
(1) The siting requirements apply only to LNG storage tanks that are significantly altered by increasing the original storage capacity or relocated, and
(2) To the extent compliance with the design, installation, and construction requirements would make the replaced, relocated, or altered facility incompatible with the other facilities or would otherwise be impractical, the replaced, relocated, or significantly altered facility may be designed, installed, or constructed in accordance with the original specifications for the facility, or in another manner subject to the approval of the Administrator.