CEN - EN 1993-4-1
Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 4-1: Silos
|Publication Date:||1 February 2007|
|ICS Code (Metal structures):||91.080.10|
|ICS Code (Buildings and installations for processing and storage of agricultural produce):||65.040.20|
|ICS Code (Technical aspects):||91.010.30|
(1) Part 4.1 of Eurocode 3 provides principles and application rules for the structural design of steel silos of circular or rectangular plan-form, being free standing or supported.
(2) The provisions given in this Part supplement modify or supersede the equivalent provisions given in EN 1993-1.
(3) This part is concerned only with the requirements for resistance and stability of steel silos. For other requirements (such as operational safety, functional performance, fabrication and erection, quality control, details like man-holes, flanges, filling devices, outlet gates and feeders etc.), see the relevant standards.
(4) Provisions relating to special requirements of seismic design are provided in EN 1998-4, which complements or adapts the provisions of Eurocode 3 specifically for this purpose.
(5) The design of supporting structures for the silo are dealt with in EN 1993-1-1. The supporting structure is deemed to consist of all structural elements beneath the bottom flange of the lowest ring of the silo, see figure 1.1.
(6) Foundations in reinforced concrete for steel silos are dealt with in EN 1992 and EN 1997.
(7) Numerical values of the specific actions on steel silos to be taken into account in the design are given in EN 1991-4 Actions in Silos and Tanks.
(8) This Part 4.1 does not cover:
- resistance to fire;
- silos with internal subdivisions and internal structures;
- silos with capacity less than 100 kN (10 tonnes);
- cases where special measures are necessary to limit the consequences of accidents.
(9) Where this standard applies to circular planform silos, the geometric form is restricted to axisymmetric structures, but the actions on them may be unsymmetrical, and their supports may induce forces in the silo that are not axisymmetrical.