CENELEC - EN IEC 61204-7
Low-voltage switch mode power supplies - Part 7: Safety requirements
|Publication Date:||1 March 2018|
|ICS Code (Rectifiers. Converters. Stabilized power supply):||29.200|
Equipment covered by this document
This part of IEC 61204 specifies the safety requirements for switch mode power supply (SMPS) units supplied by source voltages up to 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC providing AC and/or DC output(s), except inverter output(s) establishing AC mains (see exceptions in 1.2).
NOTE 1 This document by definition covers DC-DC converters.
NOTE 2 Power supplies may provide accessory AC mains socket outlets, when such outputs are supplied from the AC mains.
This product standard covers both stand-alone and component SMPS as defined in this document. DC power and distribution equipment which provides, distributes, monitors, and controls isolated secondary circuit power to other equipment typically used in information and communication technology equipment installations (refer to Annex AC).
Equipment which is within the scope of Annex AC consists of some or all of the following:
- distribution panelboards, powerboards, disconnects, and overcurrent protective devices;
- control and monitoring equipment;
- assemblies consisting of: racks, shelves, and enclosures which could contain any of the above components, interconnecting hardware,power supplies (such as rectifiers, converters, and inverters), batteries, and any other related peripheral devices.
Where no standards exist, use of this document for other applications is not precluded.
This document does not cover:
- functional safety aspects as covered by for example IEC 61508 (all parts);
- reliability and risk considerations (e.g. related to power loss);
- information and communication technology equipment other than SMPS to such apparatus;
- electrical equipment and systems for railways applications and electric vehicles.
- motor-generator sets;
- uninterruptible power supplies (UPS);
- direct plug-in power units;
- power supplies according to IEC 61558 (all parts) covering linear power supply units incorporating safety isolating transformers providing SELV or PELV output(s) in accordance with IEC 60364-4-41 and SMPS for use with household and other consumer products;
- transformers covered by IEC 61558-1;
- step-down converters covered by IEC 60146-1-1;
- SMPS and converters for use with or in products covered by IEC 61347-2-2;
- AC or DC mains supply distribution equipment which is part of the building wiring system and not an integral part of the equipment used in DC power and distribution equipment, batteries, the design or installation of DC power and distribution conductors and other building installation wiring (not covered by Annex AC).
Requirements additional to those specified in this document may be necessary for
- SMPS which comply with this document and satisfy the requirements of SMPS for use in or with other equipment, when referenced in such end product standards,
- SMPS intended for operation in special environments (for example, extremes of temperature; excessive dust, moisture or vibration (e.g. earth quake zones); flammable gases; and corrosive or explosive atmospheres),
- SMPS intended to be used in vehicles, on board ships or aircraft, or in tropical countries, and
- SMPS intended for use where ingress of water is possible; for guidance on such requirements and on relevant testing, see IEC 60529.
NOTE Attention is drawn to the fact that authorities in some countries impose additional requirements for health, environmental and similar reasons.