Lifts for the transport of persons and goods - Part 20: Global essential safety requirements (GESRs)
|Publication Date:||1 August 2018|
|ICS Code (Lifts. Escalators):||91.140.90|
- specifies GESRs for lifts (elevators), their components and functions, and
- establishes a system and provides methods for minimizing safety risks that can arise in the course of, the operation and use of, or work on, lifts (elevators).
NOTE 1 Hereinafter, the term "lift" is used instead of the term "elevator".
NOTE 2 See Clause 5 regarding the use and application of this document.
This document is applicable to lifts that are intended to carry persons or persons and goods that can:
a) be located in any permanent and fixed structure or building, except lifts located in means of transport, (e.g. ships);
b) have any
1) rated load, size of load carrying unit and speed, and
2) travel distance and number of landings;
c) be affected by fire in the load-carrying unit (LCU), earthquake, weather, or flood;
d) be foreseeably misused (e.g. overloaded) but not vandalized.
This document does not cover
a) all needs of users with disabilities;1) or
b) risks arising from
1) work on lifts under construction, testing, or during alterations and dismantling;
2) use of lifts for fire fighting and emergency evacuation;
3) vandalism; and
4) fire outside the LCU.
1) Although the GESRs specified in this document have been identified and evaluated by risk assessment, not all disabilities or combinations of such disabilities of users have necessarily been addressed.