SNZ - AS/NZS 60335.2.2
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety Part 2.2: Particular requirements for vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances
|Publication Date:||29 June 2018|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
Battery-operated appliances and other d.c. supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply appliances, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated appliances when operated in the battery mode.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric vacuum cleaners and watersuction cleaning appliances for household and similar purposes, including vacuum cleaners for animal grooming, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V. It also applies to centrally-sited vacuum cleaners and automatic battery-powered cleaners.
This standard also applies to motorized cleaning heads and current-carrying hoses associated with a particular vacuum cleaner.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and other premises for normal housekeeping purposes, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 101 Examples of such appliances are appliances intended to be used for normal housekeeping purposes in hotels, offices, schools, hospitals and similar premises.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- wet and dry vacuum cleaners, including power brush, for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-69).