Spatial orientation and direction of movement - Ergonomic requirements
|Publication Date:||15 August 2008|
|ICS Code (Ergonomics):||13.180|
This International Standard sets out design principles, procedures, requirements and recommendations for the spatial orientation and direction of movement of controls and displays used in tool machines, industrial robots, office machines, earth-moving machinery, transportation (automobiles, railway electric cars/rolling stock, aircraft, ships, etc.), information, daily commodities, public utilities and the operational components of building facilities.
It lays down basic requirements for determining the operating direction of controls and the moving directions or changing states of the target object, as well as other relations.
This International Standard
- defines three dimensional axes, the observer, viewing systems, linear movement, rotary movement, twodimensional and three-dimensional movements in a dynamic space sequentially,
- describes the four principles for determining the operating direction of a control, the moving direction of a target object and/or display,
- provides GUI (graphical user interface) design requirements and recommendations that integrate the relationship between the computer operation and the movement of images on-screen in line with human characteristics and to promote safety and efficiency in computer-assisted tasks,
- sets out design principles and recommendations for determining the moving directions of a target object and the controls of a combined control system using a multi-direction control that easily realizes the complex operations intended by the user/operator as they are often seen in industrial apparatuses for business use, and
- gives principles and recommendations for the direction design of existing, as well as new, systems.
NOTE Ergonomics requirements or recommendations given in this International Standard can also be applied to designing the direction of movement of other industrial goods, such as medical equipment, TV or PC game devices and relevant machines/devices.