|Publication Date:||2 September 2011|
1.1 These requirements cover the following recirculating systems rated 600 volts or less and intended for indoor use:
- a) Non-integral recirculating systems for installation in commercial establishments for the preparation of food;
- b) Electric commercial cooking appliances provided with integral recirculating systems intended for installation in commercial establishments for the preparation of food; and
- c) Vending machines provided with integral recirculating systems.
1.2 These devices incorporate an air filtering system enclosed in a hooded or otherwise contained area intended to capture air from the cooking process area. The hood assembly typically includes a fan, collection hood, or equivalent design and an air filtering system (consisting of a grease filter with or without other filtering means). In addition, except as noted in the Exceptions to 1 and 1, the hood assembly includes a fire actuated damper, and a fire extinguishing system.
1.3 Recirculating systems covered by these requirements are intended for installation in accordance with:
- a) The Standard for Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations, NFPA 96;
- b) The National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70; and
- c) Other codes such as the International Mechanical Code (IMC), and the Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC).
1.4 Integral recirculating systems shall comply with the requirements for the cooking appliance as noted below, except as modified or superseded by the requirements in this Standard.
- a) Commercial electric cooking appliances shall comply with the requirements in the Standard for Commercial Electric Cooking Appliances, UL 197.
- b) Vending machines shall comply with the requirements in the Standard for Vending Machines, UL 751.