SNZ AS/NZS 60079.0
Explosive atmospheres Part 0: Equipment - General requirements
|Publication Date:||7 March 2019|
This part of IEC 60079 specifies the general requirements for construction, testing and marking of Ex Equipment and Ex Components intended for use in explosive atmospheres.
The standard atmospheric conditions (relating to the explosion characteristics of the atmosphere) under which it may be assumed that Ex Equipment can be operated are:
• temperature -20 °C to +60 °C;
• pressure 80 kPa (0,8 bar) to 110 kPa (1,1 bar); and
• air with normal oxygen content, typically 21 % v/v.
This part of IEC 60079 and other standards supplementing this standard specify additional test requirements for Ex Equipment operating outside the standard temperature range, but further additional consideration and additional testing may be required for Ex Equipment operating outside the standard atmospheric pressure range and standard oxygen content. Such additional testing may be particularly relevant with respect to Types of Protection that depend on quenching of a flame such as 'flameproof enclosures "d"' (IEC 60079-1) or limitation of energy, 'intrinsic safety "i"' (IEC 60079-11).
NOTE 1 Although the standard atmospheric conditions above give a temperature range for the atmosphere of -20 °C to +60 °C, the normal ambient temperature range for the Ex Equipment is -20 °C to +40 °C, unless otherwise specified and marked. See 5.1.1. It is considered that -20 °C to +40 °C is appropriate for many items of Ex Equipment and that to manufacture all Ex Equipment to be suitable for a standard atmosphere upper ambient temperature of +60 °C would place unnecessary design constraints.
NOTE 2 Requirements given in this standard result from an ignition hazard assessment made on equipment. The ignition sources taken into account are those found associated with this type of equipment, such as hot surfaces, electromagnetic radiation, mechanically generated sparks, mechanical impacts resulting in thermite reactions, electrical arcing and static electric discharge in normal industrial environments.
NOTE 3 Where an explosive gas atmosphere and a combustible dust atmosphere are, or can be, present at the same time, the simultaneous presence of both often warrants additional protective measures. Additional guidance on the use of Ex Equipment in hybrid mixtures (mixture of a flammable gas or vapour with a combustible dust or combustible flyings) is given in IEC 60079-14.
IEC 60079 does not specify requirements for safety, other than those directly related to the explosion risk.
Ignition sources like adiabatic compression, shock waves, exothermic chemical reaction, selfignition of dust, naked flames and hot gases/liquids, are not addressed by this standard.
NOTE 4 Although outside the scope of this standard, such equipment would typically be subjected to a hazard analysis that identifies and lists all of the potential sources of ignition by the equipment and the measures to be applied to prevent them becoming effective. See ISO/IEC 80079-36.
This document is supplemented or modified by the following parts and technical specifications:
- IEC 60079-1: Gas - Flameproof enclosures "d";
- IEC 60079-2: Gas and dust - Pressurized enclosure "p";
- IEC 60079-5: Gas - Powder filling "q";
- IEC 60079-6: Gas - Liquid immersion "o";
- IEC 60079-7: Gas - Increased safety "e";
- IEC 60079-11: Gas and dust - Intrinsic safety "i";
- IEC 60079-13: Gas and dust - Equipment protection by pressurized room "p" & artificially ventilated room "v";
- IEC 60079-15: Gas - Type of protection "n";
- IEC 60079-18: Gas and dust - Encapsulation "m";
- IEC 60079-25: Gas and dust - Intrinsically safe electrical systems
- IEC 60079-26: Gas - Equipment with equipment protection level (EPL) Ga
- IEC 60079-28: Gas and dust - Protection of equipment and transmission systems using optical radiation
- IEC 60079-29-1: Gas detectors - Performance requirements of detectors for flammable gases
- IEC 60079-29-4: Gas detectors - Performance requirements of open path detectors for flammable gases
- IEC/IEEE 60079-30-1: Gas and dust - Electrical resistance trace heating - General and testing requirements.
- IEC 60079-31: Dust - Protection by enclosure "t"
- IEC 60079-33: Gas and dust - Special protection "s"
- IEC 60079-35-1: Caplights for use in mines susceptible to firedamp - General requirements - Construction and testing in relation to the risk of explosion
- IEC TS 60079-39: Gas - Intrinsically safe systems with electronically controlled spark duration limitation
- IEC TS 60079-40: Gas - Requirements for process sealing between flammable process fluids and electrical systems
- ISO 80079-36: Gas and dust - Non-electrical equipment for explosive atmospheres - Basic method and requirements
This document, along with the additional parts of IEC 60079 mentioned above, is not applicable to the construction of
• electromedical apparatus,
• shot-firing exploders,
• test devices for exploders, and
• shot-firing circuits.