Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-11: Particular requirements for tumble dryers
|Publication Date:||1 April 2019|
|ICS Code (Laundry appliances):||97.060|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric tumble dryers intended for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for singlephase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
NOTE 101 This standard applies to the drying function of washing machines having a drying cycle.
This standard also deals with the safety of tumble dryers that use a refrigerating system, incorporating sealed motor-compressors, for drying textile material. These appliances may use flammable refrigerants. Additional requirements for these appliances are given in Annex AA.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 102 Examples of such appliances are tumble dryers for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons.
However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities,
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances incorporating steam generating devices in which steam is produced at a pressure exceeding 50 kPa.