IEC - 61010-2-012 (REDLINE + STANDARD)
Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use – Part 2-012: Particular requirements for climatic and environmental testing and other temperature conditioning equipment
|Publication Date:||1 April 2019|
|ICS Code (Electrical and electronic testing):||19.080|
Equipment included in scope
This group safety publication is primarily intended to be used as a product safety standard for the products mentioned in the scope, but shall also be used by technical committees in the preparation of their publications for products similar to those mentioned in the scope of this standard, in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and lSO/lEC Guide 51.
This part of IEC 61010 specifies safety requirements for electrical equipment and its accessories within the categories a) through c), wherever it is intended to be used, whenever that equipment incorporates one or more of the following characteristics:
- A REFRIGERATING SYSTEM that is acted on or impacted by an integral heating function such that the combined heating and REFRIGERATING SYSTEM generates additional and/or more severe HAZARDS than those for the two systems if treated separately.
- The materials being treated in the intended application introduce significant heat into the REFRIGERATING SYSTEM, so that the REFRIGERATING SYSTEM in the application yields additional and/or more severe HAZARDS than those for the REFRIGERATING SYSTEM if operated at the maximum RATED ambient temperature alone.
- An irradiation function for the materials being treated presenting additional HAZARDS.
- A function to expose the materials being treated to excessive humidity, carbon dioxide, salt mist, or other substances which can result in additional HAZARDS.
- A function of MECHANICAL MOVEMENT presenting additional HAZARDS.
- Provision for an OPERATOR to walk in to the operating area to load or unload the materials being treated.
NOTE 101 Examples of such equipment include environmental testing and plant growth TEST CHAMBERS, refrigerating CIRCULATORS which incorporate heating, and recirculating coolers for extracting heat.
It is possible that all or part of the equipment falls within the scope of one or more other Part 2 standards of IEC 61010 as well as within the scope of this standard. In that case, the requirements of those other Part 2 standards also apply. This document is intended for application when one or more of the additional HAZARDS described in the above dashed listed items are introduced. However, when the equipment incorporates only a REFRIGERATING SYSTEM or only a heating function or a combination of the two without introducing the additional HAZARDS described in the above list, then IEC 61010-2-011 or IEC 61010-2-010 or both, as appropriate, apply instead of this Part 2-012.
See further information in the flow chart (Figure 102) for selection process and guidance in the Introduction.
NOTE 102 Subclause 3.1.107 and Annex BB provide the definition and requirements for the protection of people who are inside WALK-IN EQUIPMENT.
Equipment excluded from scope
This standard does not apply to equipment within the scope of:
a) IEC 60065 (Audio, video and similar electronic apparatus);
b) IEC 60204 (Safety of machinery - Electrical equipment of machines);
c) IEC 60335 (Household and similar electrical appliances);
d) IEC 60364 (Electrical installations of buildings);
e) IEC 60439 (Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies);
f) IEC 60601 (Medical electrical equipment);
g) IEC 60950 (Information technology equipment including electrical business equipment, except as specified in 1.1.3);
h) IEC 61558 (Power transformers, power supply units and similar);
i) IEC 61010-031 (Hand-held probe assemblies);
j) IEC 61243-3 (Live working - Voltage detectors - Part 3: Two-pole low-voltage type).
aa) biohazards (see 13.101);
bb) hazardous chemical substances (see 13.102).
This standard applies only to computers, processors, etc. which form part of equipment within the scope of this standard or are designed for use exclusively with the equipment.
NOTE Computing devices and similar equipment within the scope of IEC 60950 and conforming to its requirements are considered to be suitable for use with equipment within the scope of this standard. However, some of the requirements of IEC 60950 for resistance to moisture and liquids are less stringent than those in this standard (see 5.4.4 second paragraph)).