Mobile and fixed offshore units – Electrical installations – Part 4: Cables
|Publication Date:||1 April 2019|
|ICS Code (Electrical equipment of ships and of marine structures):||47.020.60|
This part of IEC 61892 is applicable to the selection of electrical cables intended for fixed electrical systems in mobile and fixed offshore units, including pipeline, pumping or "pigging" stations, compressor stations and single buoy moorings, used in the offshore petroleum industry for drilling, production, accommodation, processing, storage and offloading purposes.
This document specifies requirements such as those concerning
- types of cables,
- voltage rating of cables,
- cables and wiring for interconnection of equipment,
- current-carrying capacities for continuous service,
- correction factors for different ambient temperature and for short time duty, and
- short-circuit withstand capacity.
This document also gives information on the jet fire test for hydrocarbon (HCF) fire resistant cables.
The reference to fixed electrical systems includes those subjected to vibration due to the movement of the unit, for example, cables installed on a drag chain, and not those intended for repeated flexing. This document does not cover flexible cables, for example, those used on drilling decks for top-drive, or cables for portable equipment.
This document is applicable for cables with a rated voltage up to and including 18/30 kV AC and makes reference to cable standards developed by SC 18A.
For higher voltages, relevant standards developed by TC 20 are applicable.
This document does not apply to
- optical fibre cables,
- sub-sea and umbilical cables;,
- cables supplying downhole pumps, and
- data, telecommunication and radio frequency cables.