AIR FORCE - AFJI 23-504
Radioactive Commodities in the Department of Defense Supply System
|Publication Date:||28 March 2018|
a. By the authority in Enclosure 1 (a), this Issuance reissues Enclosure 1 (b) to update policies, responsibilities, and procedures for the Radioactive Commodities in the Department of Defense (DoD) Supply System.
b. Provides control and guidance of radioactive material in the DoD Supply System, in accordance with (IAW) Enclosure 1(a).
c. Provides uniform procedures for the acquisition, accountability, identification, possession and handling, storage, shipment, transport, transfer and disposal of radioactive commodities by DLA and DoD.
d. Serves as a source of information, awareness, knowledge and technical guidance to manage radioactive materials.
e. Serves as a source of technical knowledge to use with other procedures, laws, manuals and guidance supporting safety and environmental management of radioactive material.
f. Applies to packaged items supplied with regulated dangerous ingredients as compounds, mixtures or pure substances. By this Instruction; a dangerous material is a chemical, bare item, or article controlled by:
(1) Title 10, Chapter I, Part 40, Section 40.4 - Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
(2) Title 29, Subtitle B, Chapter XVII, Part 1910, Subpart A, Section 1910.6 - Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
(3) Title 40, Chapter I, Part 2, Subpart B, Section 2.306 - Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
(4) Title 49, Chapter I, Part 171, Section 171.8 - Department of Transportation; International Maritime Organization (IMO)
(5) International Air Transport Association (IATA), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
(6) AFMAN 24-204(I)
(7) TM 38-250
(8) NAVSUP PUB 505
(9) MCO P4030.19
(10) DLAI 4145.3, Preparing Hazardous Materials For Military Air Shipment
g. Aids personnel in ensuring the proper control of items containing radioactive material during all stages of commodity life cycle control management.
h. Strengthens safety and environmental compliance with regulatory requirements regarding control of radioactive items. Supports the delivery of supply requisitions consistent with the customer's needs.
i. Ensures distribution is efficient, effective, safe and compliant during radioactive materials processing.