DODD 8320.04 CE-03
Item Unique Identification (IUID) Standards for Tangible Personal Property
|Publication Date:||27 August 2019|
In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5134.01 (Reference (a)), this instruction:
a. Reissues DoD Instruction (DoDI) 8320.04 (Reference (b)) to establish policy and assign responsibilities for the process of uniquely identifying tangible personal property and their associated selected attributes. The unique item identifier (UII) will be used globally as the common data key in financial, property accountability, acquisition, and logistics (including supply and maintenance) automated information systems to enable asset accountability, valuation, life-cycle management, and counterfeit materiel risk reduction.
b. Under the authority of DoDI 8320.03 (Reference (c)):
(1) Assigns responsibilities and prescribes procedures to enable accountability and acquisition value for uniquely identified items of tangible personal property through use of transaction-derived data in a net-centric environment.
(2) Prescribes standards for constructing the UII and marking both the item and its packaging.
(3) Promotes correlation of data, and information sharing on items with UIIs between users in a net-centric environment throughout the DoD Components.
(4) Assigns responsibilities and establishes procedures for operation and maintenance of the DoD IUID Registry.
c. Prescribes the DoD IUID Registry as:
(1) The central repository for government items with UII acquired after January 1, 2004, and for UII data elements established at delivery in accordance with subpart 252.211-7003 of Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) (Reference (d)), referred to throughout this instruction as DFARS.
(2) The master data source for reporting government furnished property (GFP) in custody of contractors in accordance with DoDI 4161.02 (Reference (e)).
d. Incorporates and cancels Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics Memorandum (Reference (f)).