Design and operation of carbon dioxide pipelines
|Publication Date:||1 September 2019|
Scope and application
This document applies to:
- rigid metallic pipelines and risers
- pipeline networks
- new onshore and offshore pipelines for transportation of fluids containing overwhelmingly CO2
- conversion of existing pipelines for transportation of fluids containing overwhelmingly CO2
- pipeline transportation of:
- anthropogenic CO2 in the context of CCS
- anthropogenic CO2 in the context of combined CCS and EOR
- CO2 captured from hydrocarbon stream - CO2 from natural (geological) sources for the purpose of EOR
- CO2 from other sources.
- pipelines as defined in the referenced standards, see [1.5.1]
- transport of CO2 in gaseous-, liquid and super critical phases
- extent of pipeline system as described in [1.6.1].
In this document, the term 'overwhelmingly CO2' refers to definitions given in the London Convention, the OSPAR convention and the EU CCS Directive. The actual percentage of CO2 and other components present in the CO2 stream shall be determined based upon technological and economical evaluations, and appropriate regulations governing the capture, transport and storage elements of a CCS project.
This document does not address how to secure public awareness and acceptance on a local/national level. This is, however, an important issue that needs to be managed carefully as an integral part of the pipeline development.