CI/CHLOR PAMPHLET 60
|Publication Date:||1 September 2019|
This pamphlet provides recommendations on the design, construction, operation and maintenance of carbon steel pipelines that transport chlorine liquid or gas. The recommendations are applicable to pipelines that terminate outside the chlorine shipper's property, or cross property not owned by the shipper or receiver of the chlorine.
The recommendations contained in this pamphlet are to be considered in light of the following:
The Chlorine Institute (the Institute or CI) recommends operators of chlorine pipelines utilize Parts 191, 192 and 195 of Title 49 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR) as a minimum standard for design, inspection and testing of both liquid and gas pipelines where relevant. It is recognized that Part 195 does not cover liquid chlorine and that the reporting requirements of the regulation do not apply to liquid chlorine pipelines.
• Chlorine pipelines that do not cross state boundaries may be subject to regulations that are more stringent than those required by DOT or by recommendations in this pamphlet.
• For pipelines entirely within a plant, refer to CI Pamphlet 6 (11.1).
It is recognized that pipelines built prior to the publication of this edition of this pamphlet may be operating successfully without adhering to all recommendations contained herein. Operators of such facilities should evaluate discrepancies and validate that they do not pose disproportionate risks to safe operation or the environment. Continued operation without adhering to all aspects of this pamphlet is generally acceptable provided:
(1) Previous, successful, long-term operation, coupled with periodic hazard evaluations, show that risks to safe operation and the environment are sufficiently low;
(2) The system does not violate applicable codes or regulations; and
(3) Consideration is given to modifying the system to meet recommendations contained in this edition of the pamphlet when redesign or replacement projects are planned.