ETSI - TS 123 016
Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+) (GSM); Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS); Subscriber data management; Stage 2
|Publication Date:||1 July 2020|
This specification gives the stage 2 description of the subscriber data management handling between:
- the Home Location Register (HLR) and the Visitor Location Register (VLR);
- the Home Location Register (HLR/HSS) and the Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN).
A number of procedures require updating of subscriber information:
- location updating;
- modification of data by the operator;
- modification of data by the subscriber via the Mobile Station (MS).
Updating of subscriber information from HLR/HSS to SGSN is required in the following situations:
- GPRS location updating;
- EPS location updat ing;
- modification of data by the operator.
Only the rules for the updating of subscriber data from the HLR to the VLR and from the HLR/HSS to the SGSN are described in this specification; these rules only apply when the MAP protocol is used for subscriber data updating (see 3GPP TS 29.002 ). Public Land Mobile Network (PLMN) specific and Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) subscriber data are out of scope of this specification. The GPRS context update from the SGSN to the GGSN and the EPC bearer context update from the SGSN to the P-GW via S-GW are out of scope of this specification.
NOTE: The term 'HLR' should be read 'HLR/HSS' throughout the document.