Space product assurance - Durability testing of coatings and surface finishes
|Publication Date:||1 April 2020|
|ICS Code (Coatings and related processes used in aerospace industry):||49.040|
|ICS Code (Space systems and operations):||49.140|
This standard specifies requirements for the durability testing of coatings most commonly used for space applications, i.e.:
• Thin film optical coatings
• Thermo-optical and thermal control coatings (the majority are paints, metallic deposits and coatings for stray light reduction)
• Metallic coatings for other applications (RF, electrical, corrosion protection) This standard covers testing for both ground and in-orbit phases of a space mission.
This standard includes coatings within off the shelf items.
This standard specifies the types of test to be performed for each class of coating, covering the different phases of a space project (evaluation, qualification and acceptance)
This standard does not cover:
• The particular qualification requirements for a specific mission
• Specific functional testing requirements for the different coating classes
• Test requirements for long term storage
• Solar cell cover glass coatings
• Surface treatments and conformal coatings applied on EEE parts
This standard may be tailored for the specific characteristic and constrains of a space project in conformance with ECSS-S-ST-00.