BSI - BS EN 50223 - TC
Tracked Changes (Redline) - Stationary electrostatic application equipment for ignitable flock material — Safety requirements
|Publication Date:||26 February 2020|
|ICS Code (Paint coating equipment):||87.100|
|ICS Code (Electrical apparatus for explosive atmospheres):||29.260.20|
This European Standard specifies requirements for stationary electrostatic flock application equipment which is designed for applying ignitable flock which may form explosive atmospheres in the flock application area. For stationary electrostatic application devices for ignitable flock of type B-F, EN 50050-3 is applicable in addition to this standard.
This European Standard also specifies the constructional requirements for a safe operation of the stationary equipment of flock application booths, including the electrical installations and the accessories.
This European Standard deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to flock application booths, when they are used as intended and under conditions which are foreseeable as malfunction by the manufacturer (see Clause 4).
This European Standard considers three types of electrostatic flock systems. For more details, see Table 1.
This European Standard deals with those hazards occurring during stationary automatic electrostatic flocking. Among these hazards are, above all, ignition hazards of the generated explosive atmosphere and hazard to persons.
The stationary equipment dealt with in this European Standard is considered to be equipment of group II, category 3D for the use in areas with potential explosion hazards of zone 22.
This European Standard is not applicable for
- flock systems in which mixtures of solvent vapours in air occur with a concentration of > 20 % of the LEL,
- flock systems operated with AC high voltage,
- hand-held spraying equipment for ignitable flock (see EN 50050-3),
- the application system for liquid or pasty substances (e.g. adhesives, primer),
- the cleaning of flock application booths,
- the storage and handling of ignitable substances outside the coating plant.