Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 1: General requirements
|Publication Date:||1 September 2020|
|ICS Code (Domestic electrical appliances in general):||97.030|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
This standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons. However, in general, it does not take into account:
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Additional requirements may be necessary for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft. In many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- audio, video and similar electronic apparatus (IEC 60065);
- medical electrical equipment (IEC 60601 series);
- hand-held motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745 series);
- information technology equipment (IEC 60950-1);
- transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 61029 series);
- audio/video, information and communication technology equipment (IEC 62368-1);
- electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery (IEC 62841 series).