Information technology — Common Biometric Exchange Formats Framework — Part 1: Data element specification
|Publication Date:||1 September 2020|
|ICS Code (Identification cards. Chip cards. Biometrics):||35.240.15|
This document defines:
- structures and data elements for biometric information records (BIRs);
- the concept of a domain of use to establish the applicability of a standard or specification that conforms with CBEFF requirements;
- the concept of a CBEFF patron format, which is a published BIR format specification that complies with CBEFF requirements, specified by a CBEFF patron;
- the abstract values and associated semantics of a set of CBEFF data elements to be used in the definition of CBEFF patron formats;
This document describes methods to define CBEFF patron formats using CBEFF data elements to specify the structure of BIRs, including the standard biometric headers (SBHs).
This document also provides the means for identification of BDB formats in a BIR, but the standardization and interoperability of BDB formats is not within the scope of this document. This document provides a security block (SB) as a means for BIRs to carry information about the encryption of a BDB in the BIR and about integrity mechanisms applied to the BIR itself. The structure and content of SBs is not within the scope of this document.Further, the specification of encryption mechanisms for BDBs and of integrity mechanisms for BIRs is not within the scope of this document.
This document specifies transformations from one CBEFF patron format to a different CBEFF patron format.
The following are not within the scope of this document:
- the encoding of the abstract values of CBEFF data elements to be used in the specification of CBEFF patron formats; and
- protection of the privacy of individuals from inappropriate dissemination and use of biometric data.