National Fuel Gas Code
|Publication Date:||1 January 2021|
This code is a safety code that shall apply to the installation of fuel gas piping systems, appliances, equipment, and related accessories as shown in 18.104.22.168(A) through 22.214.171.124(F).
(A)* Coverage of piping systems shall extend from the point of delivery to the appliance connections. For other than undiluted liquefied petroleum gas (LP-Gas) systems, the point of delivery shall be the outlet of the service meter assembly or the outlet of the service regulator or service shutoff valve where no meter is provided. For undiluted LP-Gas systems, the point of delivery shall be considered to be the outlet of the final pressure regulator, exclusive of line gas regulators where no meter is installed. Where a meter is installed, the point of delivery shall be the outlet of the meter.
(B) This code shall apply to natural gas systems operating at a pressure of 125 psi (862 kPa) or less.
(C) This code shall apply to LP-Gas systems operating at a pressure of 50 psi (345 kPa) or less.
(D) This code shall apply to gas-air mixture systems operating within the flammable range at a pressure of 10 psi (69 kPa) or less.
(E) Requirements for piping systems shall include design, materials, components, fabrication, assembly, installation, testing, inspection, operation, and maintenance.
(F) Requirements for appliances, equipment, and related accessories shall include installation, combustion, and ventilation air and venting.
This code shall not apply to the following items:
(1) Portable LP-Gas appliances and equipment of all types that are not connected to a fixed fuel piping system
(2) Installation of appliances such as brooders, dehydrators, dryers, and irrigation equipment used for agricultural purposes
(3) Raw material (feedstock) applications except for piping to special atmosphere generators
(4) Oxygen-fuel gas cutting and welding systems
(5) Industrial gas applications using such gases as acetylene and acetylenic compounds, hydrogen, ammonia, carbon monoxide, oxygen, and nitrogen
(6) Petroleum refineries, pipeline compressor or pumping stations, loading terminals, compounding plants, refinery tank farms, and natural gas processing plants
(7) Large integrated chemical plants or portions of such plants where flammable or combustible liquids or gases are produced by chemical reactions or used in chemical reactions
(8) LP-Gas installations at utility gas plants
(9) Liquefied natural gas (LNG) installations
(10) Fuel gas piping in electric utility power plants
(11) Proprietary items of equipment, apparatus, or instruments such as gas generating sets, compressors, and calorimeters
(12) LP-Gas equipment for vaporization, gas mixing, and gas manufacturing
(13) LP-Gas piping for buildings under construction or renovations that is not to become part of the permanent building piping system - that is, temporary fixed piping for building heat
(14) Installation of LP-Gas systems for railroad switch heating
(15) Installation of LP-Gas and compressed natural gas (CNG) systems on vehicles
(16) Gas piping, meters, gas pressure regulators, and other appurtenances used by the serving gas supplier in distribution of gas, other than undiluted LP-Gas
(17) Building design and construction, except as specified herein
(18) Fuel gas systems on recreational vehicles manufactured in accordance with NFPA 1192
(19) Fuel gas systems using hydrogen as a fuel
(20) Construction of appliances
In applying this code, reference shall also be made to the manufacturers' instructions and the serving gas supplier regulations.