Copper and copper alloys - Plumbing fittings - Part 1: Capillary fittings for soldering or brazing to copper tubes
|Publication Date:||1 June 2021|
|ICS Code (Metal fittings):||23.040.40|
This document specifies product characteristics, assessment methods, compliance criteria of the test results and a designation system for fittings with ends for capillary soldering or capillary brazing for connecting with copper tubes e.g. EN 1057, EN 13348, EN 13349, EN 12735-1, EN 12735-2 etc. For the purposes of joining copper tubes, the fitting ends have a nominal diameter from 6 mm to 108 mm. These fitting ends exist in three forms: end feed fittings, integral solder and integral brazing ring fitting ends. The fittings are designed for a service lifetime up to fifty years.
The fittings are used up to the operating temperatures and corresponding maximum operating pressures as indicated in Annex A.
This document applies to copper alloy fittings. A non-exhaustive list of these copper alloys is given in CEN/TS 13388.
The capillary fittings for soldering or brazing to copper tubes are used with solder alloys in accordance with alloys specified in EN ISO 9453 and brazing alloys in accordance with alloys specified in EN ISO 17672.
Adaptor fittings for use with copper tubes may combine capillary soldering or capillary brazing ends with fitting ends defined in the other parts of EN 1254.
Capillary fittings for soldering or brazing may also have flanged end connections according to EN 1092-3.
Capillary fittings for soldering or brazing may also have a plated or other decorative surface coating.
Fittings can be produced by machining, metal forming, casting or fabrication.
Products covered by this document are intended to be used in:
a) liquid applications:
- hot, cold or combined hot and cold water, including systems according to EN 806;
- closed heating systems according to EN 12828;
- cooling systems;
- drainage systems;
- fire protection systems including sprinkler systems according to EN 12845;
- refrigeration systems;
- supply systems for points of consumption with liquid fuels according to EN 12514.
b) gas applications:
- natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas systems with a maximum operating pressure less than or equal to 5 bar according to EN 1775;
- gas line systems with an operating pressure exceeding 0,5 bar for industrial installations and exceeding 5 bar for industrial and non-industrial installations according to EN 15001-1;
- compressed air systems;
- medical gas systems according to EN ISO 7396;
- refrigeration systems.