CSA - E60598-1-16
Luminaires — Part 1: General requirements and tests
|Publication Date:||1 January 2016|
|ICS Code (Luminaires):||29.140.40|
Requirements for semi-luminaires are covered in a separate Standard.
This Standard applies to the safety of such equipment designed to be installed on branch circuits not exceeding 600 V nominal or less between conductors in accordance with CSA C22.1, Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.
(1A) See the following requirements from the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, Subrules 30-302(2), (3), (4), and (5) (for additional support requirements) and Subrule 30-308(2) (for circuit connections): 30-302 Supports
(2) Where a luminaire weighs more than 2.7 kg or exceeds 400 mm in any dimension, it shall not be supported by the screwshell of the lampholder.
(3) Where the weight of a luminaire does not exceed 13 kg, the luminaire shall be permitted to be supported by a wall outlet box attached directly to the building structure or by a wall outlet box attached to a bar hanger.
(4) Where the weight of a luminaire does not exceed 23 kg, the luminaire shall be permitted to be supported by a ceiling outlet box attached directly to the building structure or by a ceiling outlet box attached to a bar hanger.
(5) Where the weight of a luminaire prohibits the installation methods specified in Subrule (3) or (4), the luminaire shall be supported
a) independently of the outlet box; or
b) by a fixture hanger provided with an integral outlet box suitable for the purpose. 30-308 Circuit connections
(2) Luminaires weighing more than 4.5 kg shall be installed so that the branch circuit wiring connections and the bonding connections will be accessible for inspection without removing the luminaire supports.
(2A) Manufacturers designing products for use in Canada can find a helpful summary of the equipment-related requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I in CSA SPE-2000.