CEN - EN 17168
Railway applications - Platform barrier systems
|Publication Date:||1 July 2021|
|ICS Code (Railway engineering in general):||45.020|
|ICS Code (Equipment for railway/cableway construction and maintenance):||45.120|
This document specifies requirements for the design, construction and operation of platform barrier systems positioned at the edge of a station platform immediately adjacent to the rail or other guided vehicles in stations and boarding points for passenger services. This document includes:
- requirements for the fixed structure and fixed parts along the platform;
- physical requirements for the movable doors and gates normally used by passengers;
- requirements for emergency doors;
- requirements for driver access doors;
- requirements for platform extremity doors; and
- requirements for the management of safety risks that are particular to barrier systems.
This document also gives requirements for the integration of barriers within the overall rail system, including:
- synchronization of vehicle and platform barrier doors/gates;
- audible and visible alerts;
- integrity of control systems;
- testing of the barrier installation;
- operational performance; and
- requirements relating to other interfacing sub-systems, notably signalling and vehicles.
For barrier systems set back from the platform edge, which are used to control access to trains or for crowd management, relevant sections of the document can be used as guidance.
This document applies to all persons involved in the implementation and system integration of a platform barrier system, including infrastructure owners, designers, installers and operators.
This document does not cover barrier systems using bars, ropes, etc. or which operate in a vertical direction.
This document applies to rail services, e.g. metro, tram systems and heavy rail services as requested by a project specification. It applies to small systems, working in conjunction with a single vehicle, or with larger systems working with a complete train.
This document applies to platform barrier systems used at sub-surface stations, enclosed surface stations (e.g. those enclosed for the purposes of providing an air-conditioned environment for waiting passengers), and those fully in the open-air.
This document does not cover normative requirements relating to fire performance or fire requirements arising from use of platform barrier systems as fire barriers.