Safety of machinery - Functional safety of safetyrelated control systems
|Publication Date:||1 August 2021|
|ICS Code (Other industrial automation systems):||25.040.99|
|ICS Code (Electrical engineering in general):||29.020|
|ICS Code (Safety of machinery):||13.110|
This International Standard specifies requirements and makes recommendations for the design, integration and validation of safety-related control systems (SCS) for machines. It is applicable to control systems used, either singly or in combination, to carry out safety functions on machines that are not portable by hand while working, including a group of machines working together in a co-ordinated manner.
This document is a machinery sector specific standard within the framework of IEC 61508 (all parts).
The design of complex programmable electronic subsystems or subsystem elements is not within the scope of this document. This is in the scope of IEC 61508 or standards linked to it; see Figure 1.
NOTE 1 Elements such as systems on chip or microcontroller boards are considered complex programmable electronic subsystems.
The main body of this sector standard specifies general requirements for the design, and verification of a safety-related control system intended to be used in high/continuous demand mode.
- is concerned only with functional safety requirements intended to reduce the risk of hazardous situations;
- is restricted to risks arising directly from the hazards of the machine itself or from a group of machines working together in a co-ordinated manner;
NOTE 2 Requirements to mitigate risks arising from other hazards are provided in relevant sector standards. For example, where a machine(s) is part of a process activity, additional information is available in IEC 61511.
This document does not cover
- electrical hazards arising from the electrical control equipment itself (e.g. electric shock - see IEC 60204-1);
- other safety requirements necessary at the machine level such as safeguarding;
- specific measures for security aspects - see IEC TR 63074.
This document is not intended to limit or inhibit technological advancement.
Figure 1 illustrates the scope of this document.