ATIS - 0600318
Electrical Protection Applied to Telecommunications Network Plant at Entrances to Customer Structures or Buildings
|Publication Date:||1 August 2021|
Scope, Purpose, & Application
Telecommunications Network Plant at Customer Structures or Buildings Covered
This standard covers the electrical protection applied to telecommunications network plant at entrances to customer structures or buildings. Electrical protection refers to the application of electrical protection devices, such as primary protectors and fuse links, and to the bonding and grounding of the telecommunications network plant and primary protectors. The electrical protection, bonding, and grounding criteria presented in this standard is intended to assist in protecting persons and property from the effects of lightning, electric power system faults, and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) on the telecommunications network plant.
A customer location may consist of a single residential or commercial building, a multi-building complex, or a campus-type environment. In addition, telecommunications service to mobile homes is covered. The serving telecommunications network plant may be metallic paired conductor cable, optical fiber cable, coaxial cable, wire, rural radio, or a combination of the above.
Items Not Covered
The following items are not covered by this standard:
• Customer premises equipment;
• Secondary protection applied on the customer side of the demarcation point;
• Primary protection specifically designed for broadband applications (see ATIS 0600338);
• Specific EMI mitigation designs;
• Surge protective devices applied to the serving ac power mains;
• Specifications for primary protectors (see IEEE C62.36™, GR-974-CORE, and GR-3154-CORE1));
• Telecommunications central offices and similar facilities (see ATIS-06003131);
• Telecommunications outside plant (see ATIS-06003161);
• Radio tower sites (see ATIS-06003341);
• Recreational vehicles;
• Telecommunications network plant serving electric power stations including substations and power generation facilities (see IEEE 487TM1 series of standards).
Application of Electrical Protection
The need for electrical protection is based on the electrical environment of the customer location, the telecommunications network plant, and the commercial ac power plant serving the customer. This standard defines, based on the electrical environment, the criteria necessary to determine when electrical protection is required. The electrical protection, bonding, and grounding measures presented in this standard shall be used where electrical protection is required. Electrical protection measures exceeding those presented in this standard may be required by the authority having jurisdiction. All measurement conversions contained in this document are approximate.
1 See Annex A, bibliography, for more information on this standard.