Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-41: Particular requirements for pumps
|Publication Date:||1 December 2012|
|ICS Code (Pumps):||23.080|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
|ICS Code (Miscellaneous domestic and commercial equipment):||97.180|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric pumps for liquids having a temperature not exceeding 90 °C, intended for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
NOTE 101 Examples of appliances within the scope of this standard are
- aquarium pumps;
- pumps for garden ponds;
- shower-boost pumps;
- sludge pumps;
- submersible pumps;
- table fountain pumps;
- vertical wet pit pumps.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but that nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- stationary circulation pumps for heating and service water installations (IEC 60335-2-51);
- pumps for flammable liquids;
- pumps intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- pumps intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- pumps incorporating chlorinators of the electrolytic type.
NOTE 104 Pumps incorporated in appliances are not covered by this standard unless a specific reference is made.