UL Standard for Safety Audio/Video and Musical Instrument Apparatus for Household, Commercial, and Similar General Use
|Publication Date:||30 September 1999|
DU This International Standard applies to electronic apparatus designed to be fed from the MAINS or from a SUPPLY APPARATUS and intended for reception, generation, recording or reproduction respectively of audio, video and associated signals. It also applies to apparatus designed to be used exclusively in combination with the above mentioned apparatus. This standard concerns only safety aspects of the above apparatus; it does not concern other matters, such as style or performance.
For above-mentioned apparatus, which are fed from a supply source other than the MAINS or from a SUPPLY APPARATUS, and which contain a LASER SYSTEM or produce an internal OPERATING VOLTAGE greater than 4000 V (peak), this standard applies as far as applicable.
NOTE 1 - In Australia, Canada, Denmark, Japan, Rumania, South Africa, United States of America and United Kingdom this standard is, where relevant, used as a guide for the testing of battery operated apparatus.
This standard applies to the above-mentioned apparatus, if it is designed to be connected to the TELECOMMUNICATION NETWORK or similar network, for example by means of an integrated modem. Some examples of apparatus within the scope of this standard are:
- receiving apparatus and amplifiers for sound and/or vision;
- independent LOAD TRANSDUCERS and SOURCE TRANSDUCERS;
- SUPPLY APPARATUS intended to supply other apparatus covered by the scope of this standard;
- ELECTRONIC MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, and electronic accessories such as rhythm generators, tone generators, music tuners and the like for use with electronic or non-electronic musical instruments; - audio and/or video educational apparatus;
- video projectors;
- video cameras and video monitors;
- household video games and flipper games;
NOTE 2 - Video and flipper games for commercial use are covered by UL 22
- juke boxes;
- household electronic gaming and scoring machines;
NOTE 3 - Electronic gaming and scoring machines for commercial use are covered by IEC 60335-2-82  UL 22
- teletext equipment;
- record and optical disc players;
- tape and optical disc recorders;
- antenna signal converters and amplifiers;
- satellite receiver antenna positioners;
- Citizen's Band apparatus;
- apparatus for IMAGERY;
- light effect apparatus;
- video apparatus intended for entertainment purposes in health-care facilities;
- cellular phones, wireless modems, and similar transceiving devices;
- audio or video apparatus that are used with a battery supply.
MAINS connected apparatus covered by this standard is intended for installation in compliance with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70.
Any undated reference to a code or a standard appearing in the requirements of this standard shall be interpreted as referring to the latest edition of that code or standard.