CENELEC - EN 60335-2-40
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety Part 2-40: Particular requirements for electrical heat pumps, air-conditioners and dehumidifiers
|Publication Date:||1 March 2003|
|ICS Code (Ventilators. Fans. Air-conditioners):||23.120|
This European Standard deals with the safety of electric heat pumps, including sanitary hot water heat pumps, air-conditioners, and dehumidifiers incorporating motor-compressors and hydronic room fan coils, their maximum rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single phase appliances and 600 V for all other appliances.
Appliances and machines intended to be used in household, commercial applications, in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
Additional requirements for appliances and machines intended for commercial use are given in Annex ZE.
NOTE Z1 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping functions used in the household environment and appliances for typical housekeeping functions used by non expert users
• in shops, offices and other similar working environments,
• in farm houses,
• by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments,
• in bed and breakfast type environments.
NOTE Z2 Household environment includes the dwelling and its associated buildings, the garden, etc.
This standard also applies to electric heat pumps, air conditioners and dehumidifiers containing flammable refrigerant. Flammable refrigerants are defined in 3.120.
The appliances referenced above may consist of one or more factory made assemblies. If provided in more than one assembly, the separate assemblies are to be used together, and the requirements are based on the use of matched assemblies.
NOTE 101 A definition of "motor-compressor" is given in IEC 60335-2-34, which includes the statement that the term motor-compressor is be used to designate either a hermetic motor-compressor or semi-hermetic motorcompressor.
NOTE 102 Requirements for refrigeration safety are covered by ISO 5149, and requirements for containers intended for storage of the heated water included in sanitary hot water heat pumps are, in addition, covered by IEC 60335-2-21.
This standard does not take into account chemicals other than group A1, A2, or A3 as defined by 3.121.
NOTE 103 This standard specifies particular requirements for the use of flammable refrigerants.
The sections and clauses in ISO 5149 of particular concern to this standard are as follows:
- Section 3: Design and construction of equipment applies to all appliances and systems.
- Section 4: Requirements for utilization applies to appliances and systems which are for "similar electrical appliances", i.e. commercial and light industrial.
- Section 5: Operating procedures applies to appliances and systems which are for "similar electrical appliances", i.e. commercial and light industrial.
Supplementary heaters, or a provision for their separate installation, are within the scope of this standard, but only heaters which are designed as a part of the appliance package, the controls being incorporated in the appliance.
NOTE 104 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- for appliances subjected to pressure, additional requirements may be necessary;
- In many countries additional requirements are specified, for example, by the national health authorities responsible for the protection of labour and the national authorities responsible for storage, transportation, building constructions and installations.
This standard does not apply to
- humidifiers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (EN 60335-2-88);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).