Water quality - Guidelines for quantitative sampling and sample processing of marine soft-bottom macrofauna
|Publication Date:||15 January 2014|
|ICS Code (Examination of biological properties of water):||13.060.70|
|ICS Code (Water of natural resources):||13.060.10|
This International Standard provides guidelines on the quantitative collection and processing of subtidal soft-bottom macrofaunal samples in marine waters.
This International Standard encompasses:
a) development of the sampling programme;
b) requirements for sampling equipment;
c) sampling and sample treatment in the field;
d) sorting and species identification;
e) storage of collected and processed material.
This International Standard does not specifically address the following, although some elements may be applicable:
- bioassay sub-sampling;
- deep water (>750 m) or offshore sampling;
- in situ faunal studies, e.g. recolonization assays;
- non-benthic organisms caught in the sampling device;
- estuarine sampling;
- intertidal sampling;
- meiofaunal sampling and analysis (see Reference );
- sampling by dredge and sledge;
- self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) sampling;
- statistical design.
Accuracy of position fixing is determined by the geographical area, equipment used and survey objective.