Information technology for learning, education and training - Information model for competency - Part 1: Competency general framework and information model
|Publication Date:||1 July 2014|
|ICS Code (IT applications in other fields):||35.240.99|
|ICS Code (Management of human resources):||03.100.30|
This part of ISO/IEC 20006 provides:
- a general framework for dealing with competency information in information technology for learning, education, and training (ITLET) contexts;
- a system architecture for managing and exchanging competency information and its related objects;
- an information model for expressing competency and its related objects that includes an introduction to the composition of competency;
- use cases used to support the development of the general framework and competency information model.
This standard is for those who design and use learning systems and human resources systems to support management and exchange of competency information using ITLET systems.
NOTE This International Standard is related to the Conceptual Reference Model developed in ISO/IEC TR 24763. Information regarding the relationships between the ISO/IEC 20006 and ISO/IEC TR 24763 is provided in this standard.
This multi-part International Standard also includes the following parts: ISO/IEC 20006-2:
This multi-part International Standard also includes the following parts:
ISO/IEC 20006-2:-, Information technology for learning, education and training - Information model for competency - Part 2: Proficiency level information model, which provides
- information model for expressing semantics of competency proficiency and its levels, and
- use cases used to support the development of the competency proficiency level information model;
ISO/IEC TS 20006-3:-, Information technology for learning, education and training - Information model for competency - Part 3: Guidelines for aggregation of competency information and data, which provides
- guidelines and a data driven architecture for the development of specific data models managing aggregation of competency information and related objects,
- ways to aggregate competency information and its related object data, and
- use cases used to support the development of the guidelines for aggregation of competency information and competency data.1)
The scope of this International Standard does not include an in-depth technical review of issues related to:
- adaptability to culture, language, and human functions;
Areas not addressed
This International Standard currently does not address the following items:
- e-Profiles, which are a set of records that pertain to an individual (e.g. personnel records, student information system records);
- evidence information;
- assessment methods and metrics information
- ISO/IEC 20006 has been developed to support competency information and data management and exchange based on IT systems that are currently in use in Asia, Europe and North America. It is based on standardization that has occurred at transnational, national and regional levels in IT systems that are used to support human development including but not limited to:
- university, college, secondary school curricula development;
- learning activities supported by IT systems such as LMSs;
- IT systems that support LET and Human Resources that are based on a National Occupational Classification system (e.g. learning activity development, job banks, etc.);
- sector specific standardization in the area of IT and embedded skills;
- IT systems that support LET and human resource quality management and development activities. Further work may be needed to ensure that these standards support deeper IT integrations across various sectors and in other regions of the world.
It is anticipated that some or all of these requirements will be addressed in future editions of ISO/IEC 20006, or in companion International Standards, Technical Specifications and Technical Reports.
1) The terms competency information and competency data will be defined in ISO/IEC TS 20006-3.