NAVY - NAVSEA 5400 05/20/05
(SER TAB/064) NAVSEA TECHNICAL AUTHORITIES (CANCELLING NAVSEA 5400 04/13/04)
|Publication Date:||20 May 2005|
Scope and Exclusions
a. Scope of COMNAVSEA's Technical Authority.
In accordance with references (b) and (c), COMNAVSEA is the technical authority for ships and ship systems, including:
(1) Overseeing core processes required to support the acquisition, in service support and disposal of platforms,
(2) Operating and sustaining the most efficient infrastructure needed to acquire, field, and support weapon systems and commodities,
(3) Establishing standard policies, technical specifications, and processes,
(4) Rapidly and consistently incorporating advanced technology and lessons learned, and
(5) Supporting integrated platform management teams.
(1) Naval nuclear propulsion plant systems, equipment and facilities under the cognizance of the Deputy Commander, Nuclear Propulsion Directorate (SEA 08). As outlined in reference (d), Executive Order 12344, statutorily prescribed by P.L. 98-525 (42 U.S.C. 715 Note), establishes the responsibilities and authorities of the Deputy Commander, Nuclear Propulsion Directorate (SEA 08) over all facilities and activities which comprise the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, a joint Department of Energy (DOE)/Navy organization. These responsibilities and authorities include all technical and logistical matters related to naval nuclear responsibilities and propulsion. Accordingly, nothing in this Instruction supersedes or changes those authorities, and SEA 08 shall be consulted concerning all matters related to Naval Nuclear Propulsion.
(2) Strategic weapons systems under the cognizance of the Strategic Systems Program (SSP).
(3) Class 1 and Class 2 property per reference (e).
To describe NAVSEA-specific technical authority roles and responsibilities, in accordance with reference (a).