IEC - 62233
Measurement methods for electromagnetic fields of household appliances and similar apparatus with regard to human exposure
|Publication Date:||1 October 2005|
|ICS Code (Domestic electrical appliances in general):||97.030|
This International Standard deals with electromagnetic fields up to 300 GHz and defines methods for evaluating the electric field strength and magnetic flux density around household and similar electrical appliances, including the conditions during testing as well as measuring distances and positions.
Appliances may incorporate motors, heating elements or their combination, may contain electric or electronic circuitry, and may be powered by the mains, by batteries, or by any other electrical power source.
Appliances include such equipment as household electrical appliances, electric tools and electric toys.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be approached by the public, or may be used by laymen, are within the scope of this standard.
This standard does not apply to:
- apparatus designed exclusively for heavy industrial purposes;
- apparatus intended to be part of the fixed electrical installation of buildings (such as fuses, circuit breakers, cables and switches);
- radio and television receivers, audio and video equipment, and electronic music instruments;
- medical electrical appliances;
- personal computers and similar equipment;
- radio transmitters;
- apparatus designed to be used exclusively in vehicles;
The fields of multifunction equipment which is subjected simultaneously to different clauses of this standard and/or other standards shall be assessed using the provisions of each clause/standard for the relevant functions in operation.
Abnormal operation of the appliances is not taken into consideration.
This standard includes specific elements to assess human exposure:
- definition of sensor;
- definition of measuring methods;
- definition of operating mode for appliance under test;
- definition of measuring distance and position.
The measurement methods specified are valid from 10 Hz to 400 kHz. In the frequency range above 400 kHz and below 10 Hz appliances in the scope of this standard are deemed to comply without testing unless otherwise specified in IEC 60335 series.