Portable Radiation Detection Instrumentation for Homeland Security
|Publication Date:||1 January 2006|
This standard describes design criteria, performance requirements and performance tests for portable radiation survey instruments.
This standard establishes design and performance criteria, test and calibration requirements, and operating instruction requirements for portable radiation detection instruments. These instruments are used for detection and measurement of photon emitting radioactive substances for the purposes of detection and interdiction and hazard assessment. The informative annexes of this standard provide reference information.
The standard covers portable instruments used for:
- Detection of radioactive substances on or in people, containers, and vehicles, including:
- Photon (gamma- and x-ray) emitting radionuclides.
- Other types of radiation and radionuclides will be considered in other standards.
- Determination of exposure rate with alarming capability for Homeland Security personnel including:
- Fire fighters,
- Customs and border officials,
- Additional emergency personnel.
- This standard includes:
- Design and performance requirements for specific instrument types and applications;
- Type testing and certification requirements for these instruments;
- Calibration and test intervals;
- Required calibration standards; and
- Required documentation, including the instrument instruction manual.