|Publication Date:||13 July 2006|
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
This UFC provides guidance for the design, construction, improvement, and repair of Department of Defense (DoD) family housing facilities in the United States, its possessions, and foreign countries.
Goal and Objectives.
The Military Family Housing Goal Statement defines the ideal end-state for military communities and housing. It is not intended to be static, but responsive to the dynamics of military family housing needs. The Military Family Housing Goal is:
• To provide quality-housing neighborhoods to contribute to a strong force of skilled people who provide the readiness of our Military Forces.
Military family housing objectives support the family housing goal. These objectives are:
• To bring the existing required housing inventory up to contemporary housing standards (i.e., codes, safety, maintainability, livability, amenities) through repair, improvement and replacement.
• To reduce energy consumption per Executive Order (EO) 13123.
All military family housing facility programs should use a "whole house" and "whole neighborhood" approach for improvement, replacement, and repair of existing family housing units and neighborhoods, to increase the overall quality of entire Family Housing areas.
Housing Improvement projects should:
• Extend the useful life of facilities and infrastructure by at least 25 years.
• Be designed and constructed to minimize life cycle costs.
• Restore housing units to structural soundness.
• Upgrade building envelopes to current energy performance standards.
• Lessen impact on the environment.
• Include utility repair and replacement, as required.
• Provide street repair and replacement.
• Provide streetscape repair and improvements.
• Provide community amenities.
• Improve heating, air conditioning, and domestic hot water generating efficiencies.
• Upon release of this UFC, the Army will update UFC 4-711-02A, Design: Family Housing to implement this UFC for one-step turnkey application. This UFC was formerly the Army publication TI 801-02 Technical Instructions, Family Housing.
• Air Force Family Housing Guide for Planning, Programming, Design, and Construction.
• MCO P11000.22 - Marine Corps Housing Management Manual.