NECA NEIS 501
Standard for Installing Exterior Lighting Systems
|Publication Date:||1 January 2006|
Products and Applications Included
This standard describes installation procedures for lighting systems commonly used in outdoor applications on and near commercial, institutional, industrial and storage buildings, including but not limited to the following:
1. Pole mounted spot lights, area lights, sports lights and floodlights
2. Illuminated bollards
3. Wall mounted sconces, wall bracket lights, and wall pack lights
4. Above ground mounted floodlights and spot lights
5. In ground floodlights and spot lights
6. Step lights and other lights recessed into exterior walls and other concrete surfaces
7. Canopy and soffit mounted surface lights
8. Landscape lighting
Products and Applications Excluded
While this standard generally covers most industrial lighting systems, the following are specifically excluded:
1. Lighting systems for roadways, bridges or similar applications where special structural and/or civil engineering requirements prevail
2. Lighting systems integral to or embedded in roadway or advertising signing
3. Lighting systems designed for marine, aviation, rail, transit, or other specialized applications
4. Lighting systems employed in petrochemical plants, power plants, or other applications where special environmental or regulatory conditions prevail
5. Underwater and submersible lighting
6. Portable lighting
Related Construction Materials
In addition to the luminaire(s), this standard also covers related construction materials, including lamps, conduit, wire, various special screws and clips, and other related components and parts.
Related Construction Work
In some cases, the electrical contractor may build reinforced concrete foundations, dig and backfill trenches, and other similar work often associated with outdoor lighting. None of these activities are covered by this standard, and contractors engaging in these activities should consult with the appropriate standard(s) for that type of construction.
Regulatory and Other Requirements
a) All information in this publication is intended to conform to the National Electrical Code (ANSI/ NFPA 70). It is recommended that all work be performed in accordance with NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace. Installers should always follow the NEC, applicable state and local codes, manufacturer's instructions, and contract documents when installing exterior lighting systems.
b) Only qualified persons familiar with the construction and installation of exterior lighting systems should perform the work described in this publication.
c) General requirements for installing electrical products and systems are described in NECA 1, Standard for Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting (ANSI). Other National Electrical Installation Standards provide additional guidance for installing particular types of electrical products and systems. A complete list of NEIS is provided in Annex A.