Vehicle-Mounted Elevating and Rotating Aerial Devices
|Publication Date:||26 June 2015|
Scope, Purpose, Requirements, and Application
This standard relates to the following types of vehicle-mounted aerial devices:
(1) Extensible boom aerial devices.
(2) Aerial ladders.
(3) Articulating boom aerial devices.
(4) Vertical towers.
(5) A combination of any of the above. The vehicle may be a truck, a trailer, or an all-terrain vehicle.
Equipment Not Covered. This standard does not apply to the equipment listed below:
(1) Non self-propelled elevating aerial platforms such as those covered in American National Standard for Manually-Propelled Elevating Platforms ANSI/SAIA A92.3-2006 (R2014).
(2) Self-propelled elevating aerial platforms having a platform that can be positioned completely beyond the base such as those covered in American National Standard for Boom-Supported Elevating Work Platforms, ANSI/SAIA A92.5-2006 (2014).
(3) Self-propelled elevating aerial platforms having a platform that cannot be positioned completely beyond the base such as those covered in American National Standard for Self-Propelled Elevating Work Platforms, ANSI/SAIA A92.6-2006 (R2014).
(4) Vehicle-mounted vertical lift devices such as those covered in American National Standard for Airline Ground Support Vehicle-Mounted Vertical Lift Devices, ANSI/SAIA A92.7-2014.
(5) Vehicle-Mounted Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices such as those covered in ANSI/SIA A92.8-2006 (R2011).
(6) Mast Climbing Work Platforms such as those covered in ANSI/SIA A92.9-2011.
(7) Transport Platform such as those covered in ANSI/SAIA A92.10-2009 (R2014).
(8) Equipment such as that covered in ANSI/ASME A120.1- 2006 Safety Requirements for Powered Platforms for Building Maintenance.
(9) Vertically adjustable equipment used primarily to raise and lower materials and equipment from one elevation to another such as that covered in American National Standards in the A17 and B56 series.
(10) Fire-fighting equipment such as that covered in American National Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus, ANSI/NFPA 1901-2003.
(11) Scaffolding such as that covered in American National Standard for Construction and Demolition Operations-Scaffoldi
(12) Construction and demolition operation digger derricks such as those covered in American National Standard for Construction and Demolition Operations - Safety Requirements, Definitions, and Specifications for Digger Derricks, ANSI/ASSE A10.31-2013.
(13) Personnel carrying attachments or personnel platforms attached to or suspended from cranes built to the ANSI/ASTM B30 Standards. These excluded items are referred to in ANSI/ASTM B30.23, which provides guidance for the use of such apparatus on cranes.
Purpose. This standard applies to the establishment of criteria for design, manufacture, testing, inspection, installation, maintenance, use, training, and operation of vehicle-mounted aerial devices, primarily used to position personnel, installed on a chassis to achieve the following objectives:
(1) Prevention of personal injuries and accidents.
(2) Uniformity in ratings.
(3) Understanding by manufacturers, dealers, brokers, installers, lessees, lessors, maintenance personnel, operators, owners, and users of their respective responsibilities.
Requirements. The requirements of this standard shall be met or exceeded.
Application. The design and manufacturing requirements of this standard apply to all aerial devices manufactured on or after the effective date. All other provisions of this standard apply to both new and existing units delivered by sale, lease, rental or by any other form of beneficial use on or after the effective date.