AWWA - E103
Horizontal and Vertical Line-Shaft Pumps
|Publication Date:||7 June 2015|
This standard provides minimum requirements for horizontal centrifugal pumps and for vertical line-shaft pumps for installation in wells, water treatment plants, water transmission systems, and water distribution systems.
Service. Pumps described in this standard are intended for pumping freshwater having a pH range between 5.5 and 10.0, a temperature range from 33°F to 125°F (14°C to 37°C), a maximum chloride content of 250 mg/L, and a maximum suspended solids content of 1,000 mg/L, and that is either potable or will be treated to become potable.
Pumps covered by this standard.
Driver power range: 10 hp to 1,500 hp (7 kW to 1,100 kW).
Rate of flow (at BEP): 100 gpm to 40,000 gpm (23 m3/hr to 9,100 m3/hr).
Maximum discharge pressure ratings. The maximum steady-state pressure at the pump discharge (which considers the suction pressure, possible operation for short periods at shutoff head, and the elevation of the discharge) is limited to the pressure rating for the ANSI/AWWA C207 class of flange shown for the pump types described below.
1. For horizontal pumps:
• Discharge 42 in. (1,067 mm) and larger: Class E (275 psig, 1,900 kPa).
• Discharge smaller than 42 in.: Class F (300 psig, 2,100 kPa).
2. For vertical line-shaft pumps: Class F (300 psig, 2,100 kPa).
1. For horizontal pumps: 50 psig (340 kPa).
2. For vertical line-shaft pumps: 100 psig (700 kPa).
Pump types included in this standard.
Horizontal pumps. Refer to Hydraulic Institute (HI) Standard ANSI/HI 1.1-1.2 for a description of types:
1. Separately coupled, single-stage, inline, flexible coupling.
2. Separately coupled, single-stage, inline, rigid coupling. 3. Separately coupled, single-stage, end suction. 4. Separately coupled, single-stage, horizontal, axial, or mixed flow. 5. Single-stage, horizontal, double- or single-suction split case. 6. Vertically mounted, horizontal, double- or single-suction split case.
2 Vertical pumps. Refer to ANSI/HI 2.1-2.2 for a description of types:
1. Barrel (can) pump with suction nozzle in discharge head or in barrel.
2. Deep well.
3. Wet pit with above-floor or below-floor discharge.
Drivers. This standard does not include drivers.
Conditions not covered by this standard
1. Conditions resulting from water hammer, cavitation, and hydraulic pulsations.
2. Excessive installed operating noise and vibrations, which may require special design, construction, and installation. Sec.
The purpose of this standard is to provide minimum requirements for water system pumps of the types identified in Sec. 1.1.