Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) - Part 1-2: General - Methodology for the achievement of functional safety of electrical and electronic systems including equipment with regard to electromagnetic phenomena
|Publication Date:||1 April 2016|
|ICS Code (Other aspects related to EMC):||33.100.99|
This part of IEC 61000 establishes a methodology for the achievement of functional safety only with regard to electromagnetic phenomena. This methodology includes the implication it has on equipment used in such systems and installations.
a) applies to safety-related systems and installations incorporating electrical/electroni
b) considers the influence of the electromagnetic environment on safety-related systems;
c) is not concerned with direct hazards from electromagnetic fields on living beings nor is it concerned with safety related to breakdown of insulation or other mechanisms by which persons can be exposed to electrical hazards.
It mainly covers EMC related aspects of the design and application specific phases of safetyrelated systems and equipment used therein, and deals in particular with
• some basic concepts in the area of functional safety,
• the various EMC specific steps for the achievement and management of functional safety,
• the description and assessment of the electromagnetic environment,
• the EMC aspects of the design and integration process, taking into account the process of EMC safety planning on system as well as on equipment level,
• the validation and verification processes regarding the immunity against electromagnetic disturbances,
• the performance criterion and some test philosophy considerations for safety-related systems and the equipment used therein,
• aspects related to testing of the immunity of safety-related systems and equipment used therein against electromagnetic disturbances.
This International Standard is applicable to electrical/electroni
For safety-related systems covered by other functional safety standards, the requirements of this standard should be considered in order to identify the appropriate measures that should be taken with relation to EMC and functional safety.
NOTE This standard can also be used as a guide for considering EMC requirements for other systems having a direct contribution to safety.