NFPA - 560
Standard for the Storage, Handling, and Use of Ethylene Oxide for Sterilization and Fumigation
|Publication Date:||1 January 2007|
This standard shall apply to the storage and handling of ethylene oxide in portable containers for its use in sterilization and fumigation. It also shall apply to flammable mixtures of ethylene oxide with other chemicals.
This standard shall not apply to the following:
(1) Nonflammable mixtures of ethylene oxide with other chemicals
(2) Ethylene oxide manufacturing facilities, and container filling, refilling, or transfilling facilities
(3) The off-site transportation of portable containers of ethylene oxide
(4) Facilities using ethylene oxide as a chemical feedstock
(5) Ethylene oxide in chambers 0.283 m3 (10 ft3) or less in volume, or for containers holding 200 g (7.05 oz) of ethylene oxide or less
Purpose. The purpose of this document is to give requirements to reduce the occurrence of fire explosions in the use of ethylene oxide sterilizing systems.