IGEM - SR/16
Odorant systems for gas transmission and distribution
|Publication Date:||1 November 2008|
This standard covers the safe operation and design of systems designed to add odorant to gas in transmission and distribution networks.
This standard covers the safety aspects of handling bulk supplies of odorant for gas systems containing either Natural Gas or LPG. It applies in full to new odorant installations and in part to existing installations. Small scale odorisation is not within the scope of this Standard, although some guidance is provided. It also does not address temporary systems, but it is recommended that temporary systems are constructed in accordance with the principles of this Standard. Specifically it covers:
- Legal considerations such as Gas Safety (Management) Regulations and Pipelines Safety Regulations.
- Design considerations of the odorisation process, mechanical and electrical concerns, along instrumentation and site location.
- Construction, installation and testing of all aspects of the installation
- Commissioning procedure.
- Operation, including control and monitoring of odorant injection rate, verification of odour intensity and tanker offloading procedure.
- Maintenance including periodic patrol schedule along with flushing and purging.
- De-commissioning of the system
- Safety, including process, personal and fire safety.
- Security measures.
- Dealing with leakage/spillage.
- Waste disposal.
- Record keeping and access.