IGEM - IGE/TD/4
PE and steel gas services and service pipework
|Publication Date:||1 November 2013|
This Standard contains details of basic pipeline construction, installation and maintenance for gas services.
These Recommendations address Natural Gas services and LPG service pipework. They cover the design, construction, inspection, testing, operation, maintenance and alteration of steel and PE services for the provision of 2nd and 3rd family gases. Specifically they cover:
- For Natural Gas, pipelines of MOP not exceeding 10 bar and at a temperature from 0°C to 20°C for PE and pipelines not exceeding 16 bar and at a temperature from -25°C to 40°C for steel.
- For LPG, the recommendations limit MOP to 2 bar in the LPG vapour phase.
They are divided into four sections, depending upon the pressures involved and the diameter of the pipework. Specifically, they include details on:
- Legal considerations, such as land rights, noise control and gas safety.
- Design requirements, material selections and risk assessment.
- Site activities and management.
- Construction, including pipe laying and jointing, siphons, valves and anchorage.
- Service entry and termination, along with meter installation.
- Pressure testing methods and criteria, along with decommissioning of pipework.
- Alterations and connections to live services.
- Maintenance and repair methodologies, including inspection and surveillance methods.