Accessing the Reserve Components (RC)
|Publication Date:||7 June 2016|
PURPOSE. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5124.02 (Reference (a)), this instruction:
a. Reissues DoD Instruction (DoDI) 1235.12 (Reference (b)) and incorporates and cancels DoDD 1235.10 (Reference (c)) to establish policy, assign responsibilities, and prescribe procedures for ordering units and members of the RC to active duty as an operational force to support the national defense strategy across the full spectrum of military functions. Such RC support includes, but is not limited to, sustained operational missions, emergent operations, contingency operations, and service during national emergencies or in time of war. Applicable access to the RC includes:
(1) Ordering units and members of the RC to active duty in accordance with sections 688, 12301(a), 12301(b), 12302, 12304, 12304a, 12304b, 12406, 331-333, or 335 of Title 10, United States Code (U.S.C.) (Reference (d)).
(2) Ordering members of the RC to active duty with the consent of that member in accordance with section 12301(d) of Reference (d).
b. Implements Secretary of Defense Memorandums (References (e) and (f)) with respect to sections 12304a and 12304b of Reference (d).
c. Incorporates and cancels Secretary of Defense Memorandums and Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (USD(P&R)) Memorandums (References (g), (h), (i), and (j)) with respect to accessing, utilizing, and managing RC forces.
APPLICABILITY. This instruction:
a. Applies to OSD, the Military Departments (including the Coast Guard at all times, including when it is a service in the Department of Homeland Security by agreement with that Department, except as noted in paragraph 2b of this section), the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (CJCS) and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands (CCMDs), the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this instruction as the "DoD Components").
b. Does not apply to:
(1) RC members ordered to initial active duty training (IADT).
(2) Coast Guard Reservists ordered to active duty by the Secretary of Homeland Security for emergency augmentation of regular Coast Guard forces during a serious natural or manmade disaster, accident, or catastrophe pursuant to section 712 of Title 14, U.S.C. (Reference (k)).
(3) National Guard members conducting Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authority operations pursuant to section 502(f) of Title 32, U.S.C. (Reference (l)). Such operations are addressed in DoDD 3160.01 and DoDI 3025.22 (References (m) and (n)).